On Tuesday, Antioch Mayor Pro Tem Tamisha Torres-Walker requested the council bring back a discussion for paid parking and security at the Antioch Marina.
Torres-Walker gave no other information within her request, how much the parking should be or who it would apply to, or ideas around security.
Last December, the Antioch City Council discussed the idea of hiring a private security firm in the downtown area, but have not taken any action–even after a fatal shooting, continued theft and shoplifting, vandalism, and multiple sideshows have occurred.
Along with the request for charging for parking, here are several other request Torres-Walker made during the November 28 meeting.
“I would like to see another update of the six-month request list for agenda items requested by council members,” stated Walker. “What I would like to see come back as soon as January is a just cause for eviction ordinance… people continue to be evicted without just cause and we committed as a city council to prevent homelessness and one way to prevent homelessness is to keep people housed. We can no longer drag our feet. We need to move this forward as quick as we can as people have been waiting for more than three years for us to do this.”
Torres-Walker also requested:
- Waiving all development fees for developers building houses under 60% AMI to meet affordable housing needs.
- Council to discuss possible acquisition for the Golf & Games for purposes of community services and unhoused
- Request Tri Delta Transit to do a presentation on routes throughout the city to improve transportation to residents.
- Paid parking and security in the marina.
Also under future agenda items, Councilmember Mike Barbanica asked when the ordinance for the smoke shops would return—citing the intent was always to be able to will their property, will their business, sell their business and it didn’t make it into the ordinance while saying its been requested three times and was now a formal ask.
- Aug 15 – License Plate Readers Coming to Downtown Antioch
- Aug 9 – Antioch Man Charged with Reckless Driving and Felony Hit and Run
- Aug 6 – Antioch Sideshow Damages Water Main, Vehicle Also Enters Delta Waters
- July 17 – Update: 1 Dead, 2 Wounded After 70 Shots Fired Outside Monica’s Riverview
- Dec 12, 2022 – City of Antioch to Look at Private Security for Downtown Area